Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I must have done something good

I lost my cellphone in NAIA last Saturday. Until now, it's still baffling because I was so sure it was inside my *pink* bag (I was wearing pink shoes, by the way).

I don't use my phone in public places unless I need to meet someone or I am waiting for an important message. I usually place it inside the most secured pocket in my bag. I just keep it on almost-max volume so I know if somebody is calling or has sent a text message.

It was early in the morning and there were only a handful people in the airport counters. I just stood behind the queue and let my companions do the check-in tasks. My companions and I then went through the usual security protocols and decided to have our breakfast near the designated waiting area. I only noticed that my cellphone was missing when I reached for it to send a text to Nanay.

The zipper was open and my cell phone was gone.

I informed my companions about my missing phone. Dr. Cuano, the team leader, immediately dialed my number from his phone thinking that it might just be tucked inside the nooks of my bag. While calling, he barraged me with questions to extract possible explanations why we were not hearing any sound from my bag although it was ringing. My other companions came up with a reason that I might have put it inside my checked-in luggage although they were sure I did not.

After so much searching and ringing, Dr. Cuano and I went back to the check-in counters, terminal fee counters and x-ray areas to check if anybody has found and turned over a phone. Without much luck, we reported the incident to the airport security. I had to be x-rayed several times (I might have swallowed it whole?). My bag, with and without contents, had to be x-rayed several times. All the while, I kept my cool and held my ground. I just followed whatever they asked me to do. I answered whatever questions they had. Anyway, much searching just told me it was definitely gone. Accepting the fact, I just hoped that it would still bring luck and goodwill to whomsoever got it.

Good thing I regularly back up my contacts and there were no incriminating messages there. I feel lucky for the finder. The phone was a SE K750i. It was given to me in September 2005 by a friend in exchange of my SE K700. Beside the minor scratches, almost new pa din. I rarely used it because I have another phone with 3G that I use more often to access the internet. The only regret I have was that I lost the saved messages from my kids, parents, sisters and friends. I also lost but without much regret, recent messages I got from a seemingly deranged person --- those, would surely fire up the interest of anybody who would read the messages.

Ten minutes before boarding I once again called my number. Maybe by hearing that it has been turned off would set my mind that it was indeed goodbye time for my phone. But alas, a woman answered on the fourth ring! My mind froze and my heart skipped a beat that moment. I immediately proceeded to the area she instructed me to go. I thanked her profusely and asked how it ended up with her. She said that she found the phone on top of the Cagayan de Oro check-in counter 30 minutes prior to our meet. She thought it was her friend's phone so she picked it up and found out it wasn't when she was giving it to her in the waiting area.

We could not yet resolve how it ended in a place 10-12 counters away from where we were. How did it happen when I was so sure it was inside my bag? Hey, this was the airport. Who would steal a cell phone in a supposedly secured area? Why was it with her only in the last 30 minutes when we were in the same area 2 hours earlier? Why was it not answered when we were constantly ringing it and surely could be heard few meters away? The security people theorized that somebody might have taken hold of it but when they publicly announced that it was missing the person might have put it on top of the counter. It could be checked with the security camera but we refused to do so.

I don't know really. To quote Dr Cuano, it was indeed good-over-evil. Swerte daw talaga ako. I might have done something good to be able to get it back.